The 2013 Baldwin County Relay for Life is holding various events and activities throughout the community to honor cancer survivors and remember those who lost their battle with the deadly disease.
This year’s honorary chair is 3-year-old Abram Gainous who is diagnosed with leukemia.
The local Relay teams will sponsor several upcoming fundraising drives:
• Friday, Feb. 22 — The City of Milledgeville will sell Krispy Kreme donuts for $6 per box at City Hall. To pre-order a box, contact Jacque Huley at email@example.com;
• Friday, March 1 — Relay teams will set up at the corner of Amici and Citizens Finance to fundraise through the selling of baked goods, arts and crafts, Relay merchandise and luminaries during the March First Friday event from 6 to 9 p.m.;
• Tuesday, March 5 — Team rally at 6 p.m. at the Baldwin High School media center to encourage and invite team and individual participation;
• Saturday, March 23 — First United Methodist Church will hold a church-wide yard sale from 8 a.m. to noon at the lake pavilion on Bill Johnson Road. For more information, directions or to donate items, contact Brenda at (478) 251-1571, or Linda at (478) 451-9702; and
• Saturday, March 23 — Relay teams will sell crafts, baked goods and luminaries from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Milledgeville Mall during Mall Day, while youth can enjoy face painting, raffles and crafts.
A community 5K for Relay Race, followed by a 1 Mile Fun Run, is slated for 8 a.m. Saturday, March 9, starting and ending at Baldwin High School. Entry fee for those that pre-register by Tuesday, March 5 is $15 for students, $20 for all others and $10 for the Fun Run, and are guaranteed a T-shirt. After the pre-registration deadline, participants can sign-in on the day of the event for an additional $5 to the early registration entry fee and T-shirts are not guaranteed.
The annual Relay event is an organized, overnight community fundraising walk where teams of people and individuals camp out around a track. Members of each team take turns walking around the track while those in attendance enjoy food, games, activities and socializing during the family-friendly event to raise funds and awareness for the fight against cancer.
At last year’s Baldwin County Relay event, more than $128,000 was raised and 58 teams were attracted, including all the schools in the district and several organizations from Georgia College.
This year’s Relay event is slated to be begin at 6 p.m. Friday, April 12 and continue through 7 a.m. Saturday, April 13 at the Baldwin Braves Stadium. With the theme of “Lights, Camera, Relay,” teams will decorate tents based off a movie or movie event.
For more information about the local Relay events, to register, volunteer, create or join a team, become a Relay sponsor, or make a donation, contact Tindal at (478) 454-8490, email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit www.relayforlife.org/baldwinga, or like the Relay for Life of Baldwin County, GA Facebook page.