MILLEDGEVILLE — Baldwin County Fire Rescue responded to a Lakeland Avenue fire at 2:25 a.m. Monday. Both occupants escaped unharmed, according to Chief Troy Reynolds.
The single-family residence was considered a total loss. The fire originated in the fireplace, though there was too much damage in the area to determine the exact cause.
The couple was in the residence asleep and when they woke up, the house was full of smoke.
“This is probably our first heating related fire of the season,” Reynolds said.
Weather conditions and the construction of the single-wide home made extinguishing the blaze difficult. Baldwin County Fire Rescue obtained fire control within an hour.
The residents reported having no smoke detectors.
In a press release issued earlier this week, state Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens urged Georgians to change the batteries in their smoke alarms at the same time they change their clocks back to standard time on Sunday.
"Last year in Georgia there were 72 fatal house fires and 67 of them didn't have a working smoke alarms," Hudgens said. "If you have a smoke alarm, make sure it's in working order. Changing the battery at least once every year and cleaning dust from the device are easy ways to ensure continued protection of your family and your property. Having a working smoke alarm doubles the chances you will survive a fire in your home.”
Click here to subscribe to The Union-Recorder print edition. http://tinyurl.com/6qdm4oj
Click here to subscribe to The Union-Recorder e-edition and view this full article. http://unionrecorder.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx